Back to FAQ

Does window film prevent fading?

There‚Äôs no product on the market that can stop fading entirely while still allowing sunlight into the space. That said, window film will drastically slow the fading process, adding years onto the lifespan of your furnishings and interiors. 

What Causes Furniture to Fade?

Fading of furniture and hardwood flooring is caused not only by UV light but also by infrared heat and visible light from the sun.

  • UV Light

    Ultraviolet light is responsible for the majority of fading (about 40%). Our 3M films block up to 99% of UV light, helping to significantly reduce the primary cause of fading.
  • Solar Heat

    Also known as infrared light, solar heat contributes ~25% to fading. Window film, particularly sun control or solar films, provide heat rejection. This provides several benefits, including keeping your interiors at a comfortable temperature, reducing energy consumption, cutting down utility bills, and reducing fading.
  • sible Light

    desirable for the natural light it provides, but contributes ~25% to fading. The darker the tint you select, the more visible light is blocked. We have sun control films that range from clear to darkly tinted, depending on your preference for natural light.
  • Miscellaneous Factors

    The sun is responsible for 90% of furniture fade. The other 10% comes from miscellaneous factors including climate, furniture material and color, pollutants, temperature in the home or building, and interior lighting, among others.

How Effective is Window Film in Slowing Fading?

Nothing completely stops fading but properly installed window films will reduce the major causes of fading (ultraviolet light, solar heat, and visible light). This can prolong the life of your furnishings, perhaps as much as two to five times. So, if the rug in your living room would typically last about 5 years with standard windows, with window film you can increase the lifespan to 10, 15, or even 20 years. The darker and more reflective you go in your window film selection, the more you are able to reduce fading. Learn more about how window film can reduce fading.