If you own or manage a commercial building, you know the importance of energy efficiency and the effect that it can have on your bottom line. But have you considered window film for energy efficiency? It’s an affordable, durable option that can be installed quickly without upsetting your building routines.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), up to 35% of a building’s energy loss is through its windows. As reported by the DOE, most commercial building owners can look forward to saving approximately $1-2 per square foot of tinted glass surface area. The DOE considers window film a leading energy efficiency technology that can yield a return on your investment in as little as three years.
Window films improve energy savings while protecting interior furnishings, improving comfort indoors, and reducing glare. This innovative product works by insulating windows to reduce the amount of heated and cooled air that escapes through windows. It also reflects a significant portion of the sun’s hot infrared rays and results in more consistent interior temperatures, especially near windows, as it works to eliminate hot or cold spots. All of these factors contribute to overall energy savings and improved occupant comfort. Window film can block up to 99% of UV rays from the sun and can reduce solar heat gain by up to 79%.
3 Examples of Window Films that Promote Energy Efficiency
- Smart Film – Smart film can block over 98% of UV rays. It is also eco-friendly, reduces fading of flooring, furniture, and other interior elements, as well as provides privacy. Smart Film can be installed on existing glass surfaces. Control it using your device of choice: light sensors, timers, wall switches, remotes, mobile apps, motion sensors, and more.
- Ceramic Series – Advanced ceramics allow these films to maintain their color and appearance over time. Ceramic series window films eliminate up to 80% of the heat-producing infrared light from the sun and block 99% of UV rays.
- Night Vision – Night Vision window films help block UV rays from the sun that can be extremely damaging. They can also reject up to 73% of the heat from the sun. This film rejects solar heat created by visible light but allows for clear views to the outside at night.
Related Benefits of Window Films
Let’s explore in more detail some of the related benefits to expect from commercial window tinting, in addition to energy savings.
- Year-Round Comfort – In the summer, window film reflects the sun’s heat to keep building occupants more comfortable. In the winter, it also contributes to interior comfort by adding a layer of insulation to hold heat inside. Throughout the year, it keeps the building temperature more balanced by eliminating hot and cold spots near glass windows and doors.
- Glare Reduction – Window film significantly reduces glare from sunlight. Reducing glare inside a building can keep employees and customers more comfortable and improve productivity. Additionally, the film reduces discomfort and eye strain and makes it easier to view electronic device screens.
- Less Fading – No film can stop fading entirely, but they can slow the progress of fading significantly. The three main causes of fading include UV rays, visible light, and solar heat. Window film limits the passage of each of these fading factors into your space.
Want to Learn More About Window Film?
Interested in learning more about the benefits of window film? The team at General Solar would love to speak with you about how 3M window film solutions can add value to your space. We’ll help you choose the right film for your commercial building. With 3M’s lengthy warranty, we’ll ensure the film enhances the appearance of your building for years to come.
General Solar Company has been one of the highest regarded window film companies in the Washington DC area for nearly 50 years. In that time, we have built a reputation for professionalism, integrity, and exceptional service. We serve clients in Washington DC, Montgomery County, Rockville and Bethesda, Maryland, and surrounding areas. To schedule an appointment for a free estimate, give us a call today or contact us using this form.